Thursday, January 10, 2008

Bryan's surgery...






So it has been one week since Bryan had his ACL repair surgery. He injured it playing basketball at the church in April.( His last surgery was from playing church basketball in high school) I am hoping that things will continue to get better. The first 2 days were a piece of cake. He had a great block in and couldn't feel a thing. We got home from the surgery at about 4pm on Thursday and by 9:30am the next morning we were at Physical Therapy. They were surprised at his range of motion. He was already 2 weeks ahead of schedule. (Could have been that he didn't feel anything and could move it pretty freely.) We had a rough day on Sunday. He doesn't like how the meds make him feel - sleepy and out of it. But we learned the hard way he really needs the meds. Percocet for the pain which started Saturday morning - on a scale from 1-10 he said he has been a 2. And then the valium for anxiety. He doesn't like to sit or lay on the bed 24 hours a day, but that is all he can do. Once he had his meds again that night, I had my sweet husband back again. He had flowers delivered to me on Friday ( the day after surgery) thanking me for everything. I thought he was the one that was supposed to get flowers! So now a week after surgery, he is still in bed 24 hours a day, but he is working from home about 4-5 hours a day, that helps and he is watching tons of movies. Thanks to the new flatscreen that we had to have the day before surgery (our bedroom tv wasn't working too well) and the DVD player I had to buy the day after surgery cause the other one stopped working. The tv has saved him! He went to PT yesterday and they said he is a tough guy - I am sure that made him ride the bicycle even harder. He has been a trooper and the kids have been great keeping it down so he can sleep and rest! They are for sure ready to have their dad back!

11 comments:

Tricia said...

I didn't realize that Bryan had to have surgery. Not fun! I laugh about the DVD player and the tv -- only a husband could get away with it:).

Leah said...

I'm glad to hear things are going well! I feel bad that I totally spaced his surgery. Do you need anything?

The Stokes said...

Well I must say, see Bryan's knee made me cringe. For some reason, I don't handle knee surgery very well, even when I worked at surg. center. I knew Bryan would work hard at PT. I'm sure he is going crazy. Glad all went well.

Leah said...

Ouch, the site of it makes me hurt!

Cara said...

Awesome war wounds Bryan. I can't believe all the bruising and the size of the incision. And yet, he's totally going to town on the physical therapy. So weird how every surgery is so different. I'm glad he's doing better. Hopefully you survive next week(s?) with being his personal chaufer...not that you aren't already. Let me know anytime I can help. Great pictures...I'm twisted, I know.

Jewel said...

Yikes, those are some bruises! Good job getting up and down to conduct on Sunday Brother Atwood. Hopefully you don't pay for that.

We (John) also got a new flatscreen TV! we had been watching a 19 inch Zenith from the 1970s.

Rod and Kandace said...

OOOH! That looks painful. We had no idea...who is your hometeacher anyway? I'll have to get in touch with him and let him know he needs to check in!

Rod and Kandace said...

Oh, your hometeacher said he knew about it, but you wouldn't let him do anything...so it's your fault I didn't get dinner over to you...I mean HE didn't get dinner over to you.

Jen said...

We were totally fine. We are luckily on the up side of things. It takes a while to figure everything out. Like, don't skip any meds! :)

Jenny said...

Oh, my gosh!! Poor both of you!! I am not sure how effective a nurse I could be if I had to look at your poor leg. Your leg looks awful! I Hope you get to feeling better soon!

P.S. Bryan is the new TV a good trade off? Maybe I should ask when you are at 100%!

Kim said...

uummm.... eeew. yeah defenitly got light headed just looking at those. As I was looking at them making the oohh eee aww sounds my friend turned to say "are you okay". yeeeeah.... i think I need to go faint. brb.